mardi 27 avril 2010

Baby Steps

Think Powell-sized bookstore with Barnes and Noble organization and then double it. That is FNAC une grande librairie. I was picking up yet another French tutorial and a few books on Kashmir-Shiavism (something to read in French) and while checking out, the cashier asked me something, I looked blankly at him, he answered his own question, mais non. I whipped out my credit card (always an equalizer) and as he was processing my card it dawned on me what he said. The cylinders were firing a little slowly but at least they were firing. Asked him if he said blah, blah, he responded mais oui, gave me a big smile and wished me a bonne journee (good day not to be confused with a good journey). Next at the natural food store (yes they have those here) the cashier at the end of our transaction asked me if i wanted some bio bread and i totally understood him in French. No translation. I don't even know all of the exact words he used, but i clearly understood. Y viola! And to top it off on my home two different strangers stopped and asked me for directions in french. I whipped out my plan de Paris and showed them where they were and where they wanted to go. So normal! So French! Baby steps.

1 commentaire: