mardi 12 octobre 2010

Making Change

You never know where you are going to find childlike freedom. I walked into the homeopathic pharmacy looking for some herbs and walked out with elation. Europeans take their homeopathic, i.e. natural, remedies quite seriously. The salespeople are dressed in white coats, stand behind tall counters and wear formidable expressions. I waited in line and approached the counter with my pre-practiced spiel. It mostly worked because the woman came back with exactly what i needed. She told me the price, "huit, quatre-vingt euros." (8,80 euros).

Lately I have been accumulating quite a bit of change because buying things goes something like this: somebody tells me the price of something, i usually understand the first number or two, i quickly round up, grab a bill that will cover the cost, accept the change and throw it into the bottomless depths of my purse. And everyday i make a dozen purchases, a coffee, a baguette, veges at the market, oops more veges across the street, metro tickets, drawing supplies. Well you get the idea. I accumulate a whole lotta change.

My purse isn't so bottomless and change gets heavy, so here was my opportunity to go to the next level in paying for things and make the exact change. I tossed down a 10 euro note and then began carefully counting out the change in 1,2 and 5 centime increments. The saleswoman looked incredulously at me. Quel horreur! I don't think she believed that i was going to count out all of that change. In no time at all, I got to 24, exclaimed "Viola", beamed a proud mother-of-the accomplished-student smile and gave the exact change to her. "Mais Madam, j'ai dit quatre-vingt centimes." You see in French the word for 80 is 4-20s and instead of 4-20s i heard 24. Now it was my turn to think "quel horreur!" No more dinking around, i grabbed a 50, 5 and 1 centime piece, completed my trifecta and handed her the correct change this time. I smiled appreciatively at the clerk. She beamed back the kind of smile that is reserved for special needs children. I laughed and tossed my purchase in my bag.

Oh, to be a child again. It is so much fun to try things, make mistakes and learn something. I think this is one of the great joys of being a child and i think this is one of the great joys of being in Paris. There are plenty of mistakes to be made.

2 commentaires:

  1. You've brought a smile to my face; first the image of the many french coins that inhabit my dresser drawer, then the memory of the many currency exchanges I've made strictly on trust and NEVER believing I was being taken advantage of. Living City Center? Left or Right? Or which arrondissement?

    RépondreSupprimer