jeudi 21 octobre 2010

Walking through Death

I deliberately walk through the cemetery every morning on my way to the studio, carrying my art supplies and giant portfolio. No one is usually there except for the occasional maintenance person. The Montparnasse cemetery is big at least according to my standards. There are paved streets and dirt paths throughout, with tons (literally) of marble funerary markers from classic temples to modern sculptures. Founded in the 17th century when some lord was forced to relinquish his lands, expanded in the 19th century and still with the occasional available plot, the cemetery occupies a big chunk of valuable Paris real estate.

The trees that line the streets are big, but there is space between the streets so there are expansive skyline vistas in all directions. It is calm and quiet. Why wouldn't you walk through here on your way to anywhere near? Maybe people don't generally like walking through places where lots of dead people are deposited. For me it is a great reminder of the circle of life. Dates on headstones indicate children as young as 7 and adults as old as 102 are buried here. Lots of people die. In fact we all gonna die. For some reason this comforting to me. I will eventually join the legions of people that have died just as i joined the legions of people that were born. The little me isn't quite so important. Life continues on and on.

And if i'm not so important, then i am free to live big without expectations of who i am supposed to be, or what important task i am supposed to accomplish or even figure out who i am. And what emerges unhindered is this beautiful unique expression of life, in my case, called Kelsey. I adore watching her tramp through life, getting scared, taking chances, experiencing the ecstasy available in everyday activities. I am afforded daily joy and adventure as i never know the twists and turns that Life has mapped out for this particular life form on this particular day. My job is to say yes to Life. Yes to Life on its terms, not mine. So i have formed a covenant with Life. Life is the leader and the little me is the follower. No matter what i am experiencing i know that Life is my partner. Even if is is scary, I say yes. Even if it seems bizarre or irrational i say yes. And the result has been a life beyond my imagination. (Well duh...my imagination, ie the little me, is pretty puny in comparison the imagination of the force that created Life. A much better navigator!)

So i leave the cemetery, having reconfirmed my commitment to say yes and head into the studio where while creating i say yes to the scary strokes, yes to the bizarre ideas (crumple charcoal on paper and draw with your foot while looking at the model...it didn't work so well) yes to the irrational and at the end of every day i come away having spent hours in communion and sometimes i get the additional bonus of a product that rocks.

3 commentaires:

  1. A wonderfully and thoroughly tantric philosophy. :-D

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Sitting at the bar at PDX about to launch into a week of unscripted Life in the mountains of Montana I read this. Kelsey you arrest me with your words, your spiritual teachings are simple, digestible and profound! Thank you so much for your sharing, your words, as they make their way through my little soul, change and rewire me, gaining clarity and detachment. Mer I beaucoup mon ami

    Owen

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. i love you and miss you.. you are a wonderful teacher.

    signed
    your little grasshopper..

    RépondreSupprimer